I find that on Passover I eat a ridiculous amount of carbs – from matzah pizza to chocolate lollipops – and I end up feeling really weighed down. This year I will try to make an effort to eat healthier and hopefully not feel the need to detox after the holiday.
I heart spaghetti squash all year round but it is especially perfect for Passover. It is a great no carb, low calorie, and gluten free food with which you can easily substitute your pasta.
I also like to be creative with my pesto. Basil and pine nuts are not requirements, but when making a pesto, you can just as easily pick and choose based on what ingredients you have in your house. All you need is a green fresh herb + a nut + garlic + olive oil. Classic pesto has parmesean but it is not necessary.
Ingredients for Cilantro Spinach Pesto:
- 1 cup spinach
- 2 tbsp toasted almonds (toast on un-greased pan over medium heat, and stir until golden brown)
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tbsp cilantro
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 tbsp of lemon juice
- 1 tsp of lemon zest
- pinch of salt and black pepper
Combine all pesto ingredients in food processor except for the olive oil. Finely chop and then stream in olive oil.
Tip: Double the recipe and place in cube tray, then store in the freezer for future use!
Ingredients for Pesto Spaghetti Squash:
- 1 spaghetti squash
- spinach cilantro pesto from above
- 1 tbsp olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. Pierce squash with a knife in several places. Cook for 50 minutes – until squash is easily pierce-able with a knife.
I prefer to cut my squash after it is cooked – I find it much easier!
3. Let cool for 15 minutes. Cut squash in half, lengthwise. Use a fork to scoop out seeds and discard. Then, using your fork, pull strands of squash away from peel and place in bowl.
4. Heat an olive oil coated skillet. Add spaghetti squash strands, pesto, salt and pepper and toss thoroughly to heat and combine.
Serve immediately. Feel free to garnish with toasted almonds, and if you want to go dairy, sprinkle some parmesan cheese!
xoxo getting creative with passover and pesto