As you may have guessed by looking at the pics on our blog- one of our favorite non-food hobbies is running.
We like to go out and run together but the truth is we end up doing our own thing- Matt runs at a faster pace, and when I run with him my competitive side tries to keep up causing me to tire out sooner.
I started running in 2011 by joining NYRR and participating in the races. I love the energy of a race- even it is only a 5k. Also time seems to fly when you are in a race rather than running on a treadmill. I started at literally 0 and with practice and dedication built myself up to doing the 2012 NYC Half Marathon. I would love to do a marathon but I have hip injuries and don’t think it is a good idea to put the stress on my bad hips. So instead I am doing a triathlon ahhh (hence the title of our blog Tri-ing). We will eventually blog more about why we are doing the triathlon this year.
I went to the Tri-mania event in NYC where I picked up a couple of tips on how to improve my running.
Thought I would share
1. Focus on your cadence- this is how often your feet touch the ground.
slow cadence= longer time in the air and harder land on the ground= not nice to your joints!
faster cadence= lest time in the air and softer land = happier joints
Goal: 90 steps/minute (180 steps/minute if counting both feet)
2. Do not over stride- this means landing each step with the heel out in front of you. Instead your foot should land directly underneath you.
3. Set the treadmill incline to 1 percent- this more closely mimics running outdoors.
4. Strengthen your butt!
5. Take out your ear phones and listen to your run- your feet should not be pounding the ground.
6. We are not bunny rabbits- we should not bounce up and down with our hair flailing in the air- fast cadence and no over stride is key.
7. Change out those sneaks every 6 mths.
8. Strengthen your core- plank it!
9. Video your run and play it back slowly so you can see how you run and pinpoint areas where improvement is needed.
10. Breathe- sounds simple but I actually forget to do this sometimes. In through the nose and out through the mouth.
11. *** Have Fun****
xoxo not a bunny rabbit