If you are an 80′s baby this should bring back memories of the ch ch chia pet.
Well the chia seed is moving on up in life and has many more benefits aside from turning into a luscious fur coat for your terracotta kitten.
Why eat chia?
- Packed with omega-3 fatty acid – it is the richest plant source for this oil.
- Age-defying antioxidants – antioxidants prevent free radical damage in the body.
- High in both soluble and insoluble fiber.
- Increases your energy level – the Aztecs called it the “running food”.
Why is it magical?
It looks like a seed but once exposed to water it forms a coating of gel which increases its size. This gel made of water has no extra calories and it helps your body think it is full.
How should I eat it?
Can be mixed into yogurt, oatmeal, baked goods, or smoothies. No need to grind.
Chia Pudding Recipe:
- 1 1/4 cup coconut milk (may also use almond milk). I like the Silk brand and buy original unsweetened.
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 tbsp chia seed
- Dash of cinnamon
- Top it off with some orange zest
Combine all ingredients in a jar, shake, and let sit for 30 minutes. Can stay in the fridge up to one week – and actually gets better with time.
Introduce it to your friends, family, and coworkers.
My officemate xiomara (nickname Z) trying the chia pudding.
xoxo chia fanatic